Monday 8 February 2021

Reasons 2B Cheerful

Spring is in the air
 I started this new blog and then neglected it. I almost decided to transfer the posts here back to Midlife Singlemum and just change the name. However, I do want a clean break and a completely new image, not to mention the challenge of living up to the name Panache. Spring has arrived so I'm giving Midlife Panache another go and I'm long overdue for a R2BC post. 


1 Fully Vaccinated

I got my second shot exactly three weeks after the first. The place was as empty as it was the first time so despite arriving half an hour early, I went straight into one of the vaccination booths. This time while waiting for 15 minutes before leaving, a staff member came round and asked all of the 20 or so waitees if we were feeling OK. I was impressed with that. The drive-through testing centre has been moved from the car park opposite the vaccination centre in the Jerusalem Arena, so I was able to get a taxi outside the door without worrying that it would take 20 minutes of meter time to leave the stadium-arena campus. Apart from flushed cheeks later in the evening (like a fever could break out but didn't), I had no side effcts at all. It's now two weeks later and I consider myself fully vaccintated and 95% safe - although I'm not exactly sure what that means. 


2 Spring

We really didn't have much of a winter this year. The temperature has hovvered between 15C and 20C since the beginning of December with only a few days falling below 15C and a few rain storms lasting a couple of days each. But now we're firmly back in the 20s and it really does feel like spring. 


3 Social Zooms

It took a while for this to take off as, being a teacher working from home, the last thing I want to do after a day at the computer, is to have more zoom meetings. There were a few family meet-ups with a friendly quiz which were fun. Last week I zoomed with four friends from my schooldays. We all live in different cities and on three different continents so I don't know why it took the pandemic for us to do this. This was our second zoom and we've cemented the custom of doing it on our birthdays. We may need another excuse in the summer as we were all born withn six months of each other. Or not. I've also fallen into a welcome monthly zoom date with a friend in London. Second month this Sunday as we  only started in January this year. Although I spend a lot of time on Face Book, it's not the same as actually chatting as opposed to typing. I'm starting to feel more connected to the world again. (This may also be because the balcony door is wide open and there are people outside in the sunshine.)


4 New Job

I am [remote] teaching a course at a new (to me) college this semester. It's the sister college to the one I already teach in and also very local. I'm hoping that if things go well, the work will continue next year. The pay doesn't quite cover the cuts that were made in September so it's lots more work for almost the same money I got last year for fewer hours, but under the current circumstances I'm just grateful to still be employed at all.


In a nutshell, lots to be cheerful about. 


4 comments:

  1. Always lots to be cheerful about. I'm very envious that your spring is arriving already, we've got snow currently, which is lovley but far too cold! lol Have a great week, Mich xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We hardly had a winter at all this year. We usually pray for snow as we all get a day off school - evenif it melts by 8 am. But this year snow would have been a waste as we're all at home anyway. I was dreading the heating bill this year as we're not out all day but we've only even used it a ahndful of times in the evenings.

      Delete
  2. It does feel like spring is just around the corner, I think we are in for a few more wintery days here and there but it still lifts the spirits doesn't it.

    And I agree, why has it taken a pandemic for us to video call our friends, I have spoken to a couple of good friends in the UK more in the last few months than I have in 11 years!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Apparently we're getting wnter back this week. They even say a possibility of snow in Jerusalem.

      Delete