Tuesday 11 May 2021

Decent Pyjamas and Slip-on Shoes, Just in Case

Yesterday evening the sirens sounded over Jerusalem. I'm not going into the politics of who, what or why - this post is purely about our responses. 

I, along with all my neighbours, emerged onto the balcony where we chatted about what could possibly be happening. Was it a drill? A mistake? Who knows? 

Suddenly we heard the booms of exploding missiles and we realized that this wasn't a drill or a mistake. "OMG!" We dashed for cover. I ran into the apartment and called out, "DD down to the shelter, NOW!" DD came racing out of  her bedroom as I fumbled with the lock on the front door. 

Of course once the Iron Domes had intercepted and exploded the missiles before they made impact, it was all over and the sirens stopped before I'd even got the front door open. 

Here in Jerusalem we're out of the habit of thinking about the sirens except for announcing the beginning of Shabbat (when they are much quieter), minutes of silence on memorial days, drills, and the occasional error. 

Back in the days of the second intifada, now almost 20 years ago, even a door slamming would make me jump with fright. When I'm visiting my friends on their kibbutz near the border with Gaza, I know that a siren means: Run for cover! I expect it. They live with it. 

So there we were, with seven rockets fired on Jerusalem, speeding through the skies in our direction, all standing on our balconies to chat about the warning sirens. It reminded me of one of Rudyard Kipling's Epitaphs of the War - The Beginner.

Afterwards we laughed at ourselves but it wasn't funny. How many wars and attacks have we lived through and yet we behaved like beginners? It was a lesson in complacency. Next time we hear sirens we run to the bomb shelter and ask questions later. 

Last night DD and I both wore decent pyjamas and put easy to slip on shoes by our beds. 


the beginner 

On the first hour of my first day 
    In the front trench I fell. 
(Children in boxes at a play
    Stand up to watch it well.) 


10 comments:

  1. May you both always be safe. xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad you posted something as I was just thinking about emailing to ask how you were.
    We are seeing the bombings on the news and it looks so scary - please take care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Margie. Jerusalem has been quiet apart from that one attack yesterday. The centre of the country around Tel Aviv has taken the brunt of it today. DD's school trip, a hike in a nature park scheduled for today, was postponed. We were very relieved as she didn't want to miss out on the fun but we were nervous about her going.

      Delete
  3. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I deleted a double comment, that's all. :)

      Delete
  4. I've been thinking of you. It's a scary situation to have to live amongst and it really brings home the reality of it for you when you have to have shoes ready to jump into. Praying for peace. Mich xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mich. Yes, it is the mundanities like wearing decent pyjamas and having shoes ready by the bed, that are most poignant. I just hope it doesn't escalate into a full blown war. Keep praying.

      Delete
  5. I was thinking about you and was so glad to find your new blog. Take care of each other.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Blodwyn. I'm so glad you found the new blog and I appreciate your comment. Xxx

      Delete